MontrealTips is always proud to feature local entrepreneurs. We believe it’s a great way for our community to grow and prosper from each other. This is why today’s article will be a feature on Montreal’s very own Salon Des Refusés who have just opened up their online store.
Better known as ‘SDR’ they are a Montreal based clothing brand and designers that are true to their aesthetic which describes itself as “demonstrating luxury chaos and eccentricity of rock and roll culture”. SDR is more than just a clothing company as they are also self-sufficient in the sense that they double as a cut and sew shop. Founded in 2017 by three local Montreal fashion pioneers Francis Palumbo, Joey Lavalle, and Brenden Knez, one of their brand’s main pillars was to keep the company by Montreal for Montreal. Meaning that all materials and manufacturing are all made and purchased in Montreal so that they can ensure superior quality products on all their clothing and also support local businesses and communities at the same time.
The ‘SDR’ brand started off as making custom clothing for recording hip-hop artists such as 88 Glam (who performed at the Junos) Lil’ Mosey and 21 Savage. They also appeared on XXL (a hip-hop magazine) which really helped propelled them to gain enough traction to secure a showroom during Paris’ fashion week in 2019. They are also currently booked for another showroom in Los Angelas in 2020. With the recent success of their showrooms and magazine features, they have recently expanded to opening up their online store to make their top end products more accessible for all their customers.
With their online store up and running, the skies the limit for SDR. They have big and better things coming up on the horizon and are looking to take the fashion world by storm.
You can check out their online store at https://www.ateliersdr.com/
And show support on their Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/____sdr____/
Product Feature: Pokète sweatshirts & Scarves
Montreal Designed Sweaters and Scarves
Pokète sweatshirts and scarves allow women to carry their own stuff in the most comfortable, practical and pretty way possible. In their very own pockets! No need to carry a purse, just be able to go wherever and whenever, hands-free. Historically, most women’s clothing either have unusable pockets or none whatsoever which leaves them with nowhere to put even their most basic essentials!
Canadian Born Brand
Pokète is a new Canadian brand born out of the need for women to have functional and practical clothing and accessories with pockets. Its focus is on making women’s lives easier. The styling is timeless and great quality because women should love what they wear and be able to keep clothing for many many years. All styles feature hidden zip pockets to keep valuables safe.
Inspired by Everyday Experiences
Pokète’s collection is inspired by a few common and everyday experiences. These include travelling (or not), taking the dog for a walk or going to play in the park with kids, all without having to drag an oversized bag. Also, wearing clothing and accessories with pockets that look great and are not clumsy or bulky is a nice addition to the wardrobe.
Andrea Majnemer is the founder and “Head Pokèteer” behind the brand. She used her extensive years in the fashion industry to bring this idea to fruition. The lightbulb moment to jumpstart the project was her lifechanging cornea transplant that restored her vision. This event propelled her desire to see as much of the world as possible and instilled immense gratitude for her recovered independence. She sees Pokète evolving into offering more items, ideas and services around making all women’s lives easier.
- Run all errands hands free with a place to put your essentials (keys, credit card, ID and phone)
- Hold someone’s hand without having to constantly adjust a purse strap
- Play with your kids without a bag dragging you down
- Going for a walk with your dog and always having a place for the “bag”
- Have your passport and boarding pass readily available for airport security (when that happens again)
- Commute to work with all you need in your pocket
- Feel safe from pick pocketers with your valuables safely hidden on you
- No need to dig under your seat or in an overhead bin for your earphones while traveling
- Keep needed medications on you
- Bike ride with a functional pocket
- Go to music festivals and free up your hands
- Any time you just don’t want to carry a purse!
You can see all of Pokète’s styles on their website www.pokete.net.
Through these especially difficult times we could all use a little more love. MontrealTips is proud to feature the “Share Love Celebrate” webinar speaker series of 2020. With an all Canadian cast, the speakers will live stream and share their amazing and inspiring stories to us all. The purpose of this is to help support COVID-19 relief efforts. The event is specifically supporting “Conquer COVID for Cancer” and “The Home Front”. With so many great speakers who all come from different backgrounds it is a great opportunity to be a part of this amazing experience and learn from some of Canada’s greatest minds.
The event begins on Saturday, May 30th at 2 PM EST and you can sign up for free to the webinar here http://www.sharelovecelebrate.com/
- Miss Canada 2018 and Miss Global International 2019
- Accountant, Subway Musician, and Humanitarian
- Attitude Expert, Bestselling Author, Hall of Fame Speaker
- Helped Raise +$175M for Charity
- World Civility Ambassador
- The Urban Buddhist Monk
- Former Funeral Executive Turned Motivational Professional Speaker
- Author of Everyday Legacy: Lessons for Living With Purpose, Right Now
- Co-Founder of Speaker Slam, Canada’s Premier Inspirational Speaking Competition
- On a mission to hit 1 billion views through viral videos that inspire the world
- Illiteracy Survivor, Cancer Survivor, and Activist
- Author of Why Young Men: The Dangerous Allure of Violent Movements and What We Can Do About It
- Bank Executive and Professional Bodybuilder
- 5 million views of her inspirational talk
- JUNO Award Nominated Singer-Songwriter
- 13 million views of his hit YouTube video
- Recognized as one of Canada’s “Top 100 Most Powerful Women” and a “Top 25 Canadian Immigrant”
- Author of the national bestseller A Good Wife: Escaping The Life I Never Chose
Come join us support some incredible causes and people and get inspired with us!
With the gyms being closed, many of us have found ourselves in a situation where we have to look for alternative ways to workout. Don’t get us wrong, running is a great exercise and workout but it’s not for everyone, and that’s okay! Whether you find it boring or you have leg or knee pains or are just looking for something different don’t worry we’ve got you covered. The article will also introduce ways in which you can maximize calories burnt while utilizing the exercises we provide. There are more options out there than you think that still abide by social distancing and quarantine rules. So let’s dive in and discover our top 5 exercises you can do that aren’t running!
Here are 5 exercises to do if you hate running:
When we think of skipping our minds wander to our adolescent days or if you’re me, to the Rocky movies, but skipping doesn’t have to be so leisurely or so intense for you to make a difference. Skipping is a great way to exercise especially if you have knee and leg issues because it actually has less of an impact on them than running does. Skipping is also a full-body workout and according to a study by Shape America “After six weeks of daily 10-minute jump-rope exercises, participants demonstrated the same levels of improvement to their cardiovascular health as individuals who jogged for 30 minutes a day.”
Skipping as you can see is also great for someone with not a lot of time on their hands and they can still make a bigger caloric impact than running can. Skipping really goes well if you look for a circuit or HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workout that can really push you to the next level in a short amount of time. So what are you waiting for, get out there!
If you don’t have one, find one here! : https://amzn.to/2zPM72T
Okay, hear me out, while we know you can’t really play frisbee by yourself unless you are freakishly fast if you’re at home with someone it’s a really fun exercise you can do together that can easily burn calories. While frisbee requires a little bit of running shorter distances, it is still less impactful on your joints than running on concrete for example. It also isn’t the first thing people think about while burning calories but trust us, there’s a lot more going on under the hood. What I especially love about it is the fact that you can run short sprints back and forth almost like suicides that really get the heart rate up. Mix this with some jumping catches and you’ve got yourself a tiresome workout that will shred those calories in no time. What I like to do especially is to tell my partner to throw it away from me so It forces me to be quick on my feet and run for it and keep the heart rate up.
If you don’t have one, find one here!: https://amzn.to/2Tehif9
Orange Theory at home Youtube Videos
For those of you who don’t know what Orange Theory is,
“Orangetheory is a science-backed, technology-tracked, coach-inspired group workout designed to produce results from the inside out. The hardest part of our workouts is showing up – we make it simple for you to push yourself, be your personal best and give you more. MORE results. MORE confidence. MORE Life. More than a gym. Because you shouldn’t live to exercise. You should exercise to live.”
They currently have gyms in Montreal and surrounding areas but obviously they are closed for the time being. If its something you always wanted to check out or are new to it, they have started to put out free at-home classes on youtube that require little to no equipment for all of them. They are a good comparison to what you can get with the real gyms but these classes still provide great HIIT workouts that can be very challenging and you will definitely get your sweat on.
Find the channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Otheoryfitness
This one is for all of you really looking to push yourselves to the limit. WOD or Workout of the Day is a term used in CrossFit and if you find that intimidating, you should because this really isn’t easy. However challenging it may be, the results you will get by doing these is hardd to argue with. They usually consist of full-body workouts so be prepared! They are an excellent and effective way to burn off calories and make you stronger at the same time.
As the name suggests, there are different workouts per day and also include male and female weight suggestions. While some of the workouts do need some sort of equipment you can look through to find some that have exercises with the equipment you already have. If you find them too difficult simply reduce the rep range to something that is doable but still challenging for you. Overall WOD’s can be an exceptional alternative to running but be prepared for a hell of a challenge.
Find the WOD’s at https://www.crossfit.com/
Hiking or trail running can be a great alternative to running on concrete. Yes, trail running does include running but it is generally a little slower paced because you have to watch your footing and you are also running on the ground as opposed to concrete which helps reduce joint pains. While hiking, in general, is an incredible leg focused exercise, it really excels over running because of the constant shift of elevation and traversing through difficult terrain can really put in work for your lower body. A hike is taxing on the body and what’s great about it is that you can get some great scenic views and a sort of freedom of exploration if you will whenever you go on a hike.
All you need to get started is a great pair of hiking shoes and you’re good to go!
Find some amazing shoes here
So there you have it, our 5 alternatives to just running! Remember, while all of these great exercises will help you burn calories and help you get into better shape, nothing beats out a good diet and healthy life choices. I tend to believe that to lose weight and make a difference in your body training and workouts only count for about 20% of the overall effort and the other 80% is about having a good diet to supplement those hard-earned workouts.
For additional information, complaints or requests please contact me at:
Reach out at triman[@]captaim.com
Best of Canada & Montreal
- Best Instagram Photos of Montreal | MTL on Instagram
- Best Local Restaurants & Cafes in Montreal
- Best Places to Get Halloween Costumes in Montreal
- Best places to watch Fireworks in the Summer | Where to watch the Montreal Fireworks
- Best Spots to Fly a Kite in Montreal
- Best Winter Jacket in Canada | Top 5 Winter Coats to Wear in Canada
- Bike Trip To Fort De Chambly | Bike Trip out Of Montreal
- Black and White Pictures of Montreal | MTL in Black and White
- Top 5 Quebecois Winter Comfort Foods December 24, 2020
- Things to do in Montréal in Winter December 10, 2020
- Best Home Office Coffee Machines December 3, 2020
- Reclaiming Access To Your Car’s Data With Vehicle Mind | Startup Feature December 1, 2020
- A Beginners Guide to Paid Search Marketing | New Book by Tarek Riman November 16, 2020
Top 10 of Canada & Montreal
- 10 Things to Remember for Canadians Heading South
- 10 Holiday Gift Ideas for Men
- 10 Indoor Family Activities You Can Do in Montreal
- Feature : 10 Best Instagram Inspirational Quotes | Popular Canadian Inspirational Quotes
- Feature: 10 Best Instagram Inspirational Quotes | Most Popular Inspirational Quotes in Canada
Top 5 of Canada & Montreal
- 5 Amazing Campsites In Quebec | Best Camping Sites in Quebec
- Best 5 Terraces to Check Out This Summer
- 5 Amazingly Scenic Jogging Spots in Montreal
- 5 Best Cooking Classes in Montreal
- 5 Best Escape Games in Montreal to Test Your Skills
- 5 Best National Parks Near Montreal
- 5 Best Places For Pumpkin Picking Close to Montreal
- 5 Best Skiing and Snowboarding Spots Near Montreal
- 5 Best Spas in and Around Montreal
- 5 Exceptions to Tipping in Montreal
- 5 Must-Visit Montreal Parks
- 5 Reasons Onoir Should Be Your Next Dinner Out
- 5 Reasons to Take a Road Trip to New Brunswick
- 5 Reasons to Take a Road Trip to Ottawa
- 5 Reasons to Take a Road Trip to Quebec City
- 5 Reasons to Take a Road Trip to Toronto
- 5 Reasons to Take a Road Trip to Vermont
- 5 Unique Farms to Visit Around Montreal This Summer
- Our 5 Favourite Spots for a BBQ in Montreal
- Top 5 Provincial Parks Near Montreal
- Best Winter Jacket in Canada | Top 5 Winter Coats to Wear in Canada
- Top 5 Self Help Books to Read in 2019
- Top 5 Malls & Shopping Centers in Montreal
- Top 5 Cross Country Ski Experiences in Montreal
- The 5 Best Women’s Winter Boots of 2017
- The 5 Best Winter Boots for Men in Canada
- Top 5 Cabane a Sucre Experiences in the Montreal Area